Saturday, June 21, 2014

July 21, 2014 (redux) -- Phoenix at home

Well, I did get on the plane to Chicago to begin the first leg of my journey to Barcelona, but shortly thereafter I and everyone else got back off. Chicago was socked in due to severe thunderstorms, and it was obvious that the plane wouldn't take off for hours and I would miss my connections. So now I'm re-booked on Delta for early tomorrow morning. There is no bus early enough to get me there on time tomorrow, so I plan to walk. It's probably less than two miles to the Sky Train station from my house, and if I can't walk that carrying my gear, I shouldn't be attempting the Camino.

I called the youth hostel in Barcelona over Skype and changed my reservations (otherwise I would have been charged for the first night even if I didn't show up). Thank goodness for cheap telephoning over Skype and for the fact that I speak Spanish. The guy on the desk at 1 a.m. Barcelona time was not likely to be a fluent English speaker.

No comments: