Saturday, June 21, 2014

June 21, 2014 -- Sky Harbor Airport, Phoenix

Well, I'm finally underway,or almost underway. I'm sitting in the United Airlines Club at the Phoenix airport drinking a cappuccino and waiting for it to be time to go to the gate for the first of three flights that will take me to Barcelona, Spain. 

I rode the airport's Sky Train for the first time. How much cheaper it is to get to the airport now than it was years ago when I would have had to take a taxi or have someone drive me. I took the bus to the Sky Train (years ago there would have been no bus on that route on Saturday), took the Sky Train to Terminal 4 and then the free shuttle bus to Terminal 2. Total cost at senior citizen rates: a buck for the first bus.

This terminal is almost empty. When I went through security, the workers were standing around chatting and seemed to be happy to finally have a customer. 

I have one more hour to sit around here and drink free coffee and beer before I have to go to the gate. Sitting in that jammed plane isn't going to be nearly as pleasant as sitting here at this table with only two other people in the room. The first flight is to Chicago with United. Then I fly with Lufthansa first to Munich and then on to Barcelona. I picked Lufthansa, because that airline has always been generous with free on-board German beer.

No comments: