Tuesday, August 09, 2011

August 10, 2011 -- Paris

The sky is mostly blue this morning, although it is chilly as usual. I wonder if today is going to be a nice day. If it is, I'm going to try to find a bench in the shade by the Seine to read.

My strange roommate only awakened me once during the night. He didn't come to the room as usual at 10:30 to make his bed and rearrange his stuff. He waited until it was time for him to go to bed at around 1 a.m. and then started rearranging everything. After about 15 minutes of his moving his belongings from one place to another I got up, told him that I was going to leave the room, and asked him how long it would be before he permitted me to go back to sleep. He seemed taken aback by the question. When I returned to the room about 15 minutes later, he was much quieter, although he didn't stop his activities. I lay in bed about another 15 minutes before he finally turned off his light and settled down to go to sleep, which permitted me to fall asleep also.

I have booked youth hostels for the remainder of my stay in Europe. Here's the schedule:

August 13 to Lille in Northern France
August 17 to Brussels, Belgium
August 22, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
August 28, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
August 30, Home to Phoenix, AZ

I already have the train ticket to Lille but must yet purchase the tickets to Brussels, Luxembourg, and Frankfurt a. M. I assume I can buy the ticket from Lille to Brussels here in Paris, as the French high-speed train goes all the way to that city.

Yesterday I tried some more walking. I walked from the outskirts to the Seine River, but by the time I got there my leg was hurting, so I took the subway back to the youth hostel where I spent the rest of the afternoon reading and resting my leg. I can't force myself to stay off the leg, because if I don't get some sort of exercise during the day, I sleep very badly at night. I think my leg is worse this morning than it was yesterday at this time.

No comments: