Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 21, 2011 -- Brussels, Belgium

Today is may last full day in Brussels. Tomorrow I take the train to Luxembourg City, my last stop before Frankfurt and the plane back to Phoenix. Only nine more days until I'm back in Phoenix. I don't know why that should make me happy. My sister E-mails that the afternoons there are still well over 110 degrees with high humidity.

I walked yesterday to an address where the tourist map said there was a brewery offering tours, but there was no brewery there! Did they close it? There were some buildings large enough to house a brewery.

The weather was great for a change, and my left leg was feeling pretty good when I left the hostel yesterday morning, and as a result, I overdid the walking, and I was limping by the time I got back in the afternoon. I did see some sections of the city that I hadn't seen before, however. I resisted the temptation to buy some more Belgium fries from the street vendors. I think I was loosing weight before I got to Brussels, but the food here is so great, that I can't resist trying everything.

The one disappointment is the bread. Many years ago I bicycled across Belgium, and I seem to remember stopping at bakeries in small towns and buying excellent, hearty bread. I seem to remember that one slice was almost a meal in itself. The bread I have eaten in Brussels is this airy, tasteless stuff with a texture like Wonder Bread. I don't like it, and as bread is a main part of the breakfast here, the breakfasts leave me hungry.

I'm limping around this morning, so I'm going to try to take it easy on the leg. -- Jack Quinn

No comments: