Friday, August 05, 2011

August 5, 2011 Paris

I suppose all good things must come to an end. The partially sunny skies lasted into the afternoon yesterday before the rain started again. It didn't rain hard. It was a drizzle. The weather stayed warm and turned muggy during the day and cooled off to where one needed a sweater in the evening.

There is a folkloric dance group composed of teenagers here from Monterrey in Mexico. I was talking to one of the adults accompanying the group yesterday evening, and she said the group is in Europe to give a performance in Bruges, Belgium.

I spent yesterday morning at Les Ivalides, a huge complex built originally for the wounded and disabled veterans of the armed services, and a portion of it still seems to cater to disabled veterans. However, the major part of the complex is a series of museums, all of which have something to do with France's military past. Napoleon's crypt is also located there, and there is a museum dedicated to Charles de Gaulle. The grounds and courtyards are filled with ancient cannons, many of which France captured from enemy forces. Shown in the picture is one of the earliest tanks that was deployed in World War I when it was realized that such machines might be able to roll over the enemy's trenches.




Not far from the Invalides is the statue of this gentleman shown in the picture.  I tried my best to match Mr. Churchill's scowling features. He and I have reciprocal histories. His mother was American and mine was English. Also, he was a great man, and I am a slacker.




The Eifel Tower seems to be visible from all over that section of Paris. Here it is seeming to grow from the brim of my hat. As you can see in the picture, the sky was still clear when I snapped it.



Yesterday evening for the first time on the trip I had a bit too much wine and was quite tipsy when I went to bed. I did sleep well, however. I have been suffering from my insomnia problem during most of the trip.

This morning it's dark, cloudy, and wet outside, although it's not raining at the moment.

The Internet connection here at the youth hostel is on the fritz at the moment, so I'll have to try to upload this entry later in the day.

2 comments:

Doug Helgeson said...

Nice photo journaling jack, I'm ejoying the commentary. I think the race you were watching might have been the Tour of Poland. I'v'e been finishing my last internship in PT outpatient and there seems to be quite a dfew patients who come in with sciatic problems SI sacral illiac joint. the Pt get great results by using joint mobilization with muscle energy work, you might want to check into that, I'm sure there must be some good Practitioners there.
Doug

Jack Quinn said...

Thanks, Doug. I think I'll just wait until I get back to Phoenix. Hopefully by that time the leg will be well enough that I can get back on the bike. See you in a few weeks. -- Jack