Sunday, July 31, 2011

August 1, 2011 -- Paris

Yesterday was warm and sunny. It really seemed like summer in Paris. I rode the subway to the base of the hill where the Sacre Coeur or Sacred Heat church is located. The church sits on the top of a hill called Montmartre, which is I believe Paris's highest hill. There is certainly a great view of the city from up there, but there are also thousands of tourists swarming over the hill like an army of ants. You can see pictures of the church in the two photos. For some reason, half the time when I try to take a photo, the face of that ugly old man annoyingly pops up in the foreground.



 There is a funicular that travels up and down the hill, or you can climb it on foot. I did the latter in easy stages, stopping often in the shade to admire the view, despite fears of further injuring my leg.

I also called United Airlines yesterday using Skype as my telephone, seeing what would be involved it I decided to fly home earlier. It's not that easy. First, there are a limited number of seats reserved for customers using air miles, and then there are different classes of air-miles seats. The upshot is that there are no seats for the class I booked, but I could fly on certain dates with an additional fee and a downgrade in the class of service. If I were desperate to fly back, I would accept any terms, but it's not to that point. If my leg actually does get better in another week or so, I'll be mobile again and start enjoying the trip more. The bad point about the trip, now that the weather has improved, is that I feel I have to limit the amount of walking I do to protect the injured leg. The one time I didn't do that, I had a relapse.

I hate dealing with the airlines, and I suppose United Airlines is no worse than most of the others.

No comments: