Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 11, 2011 -- Bayonne, France

 It's just after 8 a.m. here, and I just spent the night in a quite expensive hotel, despite the fact that the room is small and not at all luxurious. The train from Paris arrived late yesterday, and when I got here, most of the hotels were either full or they were closed for the night. It was also too late to continue my journey to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, which isn't far away. However, because it's a small village, there are only a handful of trains a day that go there.

I was dead tired last night. It was after midnight when I found this hotel, and I was in no mood to continue searching, despite the fact that this room, translated into dollars, set me back almost $190 (breakfast and speedy Internet access included, of course.)

Well, today it's on to Saint Jean, and hopefully tomorrow it's on the trail. I will probably not be able to post every day from now on, because I expect I will have trouble finding Internet access in the small towns I will be hiking through.

At least it's warmer here. I'll have some use today for that sunblock that I've been lugging around. -- Jack

No comments: