Sunday, July 03, 2011

July 2, 2011 -- Greetings from 37,000 feet up

I'm writing my first journal entry from 37,000+ feet above Eastern Canada heading toward the Atlantic. I had quite a few air miles left over from when I used to work for an honest living, and I blew most of them on a first-class ticket on United Airlines. If you have never flown first-class on a transoceanic flight, you have no idea what first class can be. It's way above what passes for first class on domestic flights.

The first-class section of the plane, which has 12 "suites" (more like ample cubbyholes) has two flight attendants, and the section is only half full. If my grade-school math still works, that works out to a flight attendant for every three passengers. My seat opens out into a flat bed, and just as soon as a have a few more free drinks, I'm going to try to catch a few winks. It's only 8 p.m. in Arizona, but it's already 5 a.m. in Germany, and we land in five hours. There's plenty of room to stretch out and relax.

Since all I have been doing is eating, drinking, and reading, there's not much to talk about yet. I hope that this journal gets quite a bit more exciting as time goes on.

Jack

No comments: