Sunday, July 03, 2011

July 3, 2011 -- Frankfurt, Germany

I'm tired and I'm cold! I'm tired, because I didn't sleep much on the plane, despite the fact that I had a seat that opened up into a flat bed. I'm nodding off as I sit here at the computer, but I'm going to stay awake as long as possible this evening (it's only 2 p.m. now) to try to adapt myself to this time zone.

As to the cold, how could I have forgotten that the afternoon temperature in a German city can be down in the upper 50s even in July?

I arrived without problems at the Frankfurt airport, got through immigration and customs OK. Well, there actually was no one on duty in customs; we just all walked through. Then I took the commuter train into town and hiked from the railway station to the youth hostel where I'm staying with my backpack on my back. It was the first time that I carried the loaded backpack for any distance, and I wish now I had practiced with it more before I left Phoenix. My legs are killing me!

Well, I need to go upload this before I fall asleep here at the table. I discovered a free, open WiFi connection to the Internet just around the corner from the hostel. Walking to it will help keep me awake.


No comments: