Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Jily 1, 2014 -- Toulouse, France

I've got a short layover in Toulouse to change trains. I'm on my way from Perpignan to Biarritz, from near the Mediterranean Coast to the Atlantic Coast. I'll just spend one night there and travel tomorrow to Sain-Jean-Pied-de-Port, where I'll start the pilgrimage one day later. I'll be out in the sticks, so after tomorrow morning, I am unlikely to have WiFi access for a few days.

Here's a picture of the place where I stayed last night in Perpignan.  It looks better on the inside than it does from the outside.


There was a little French guy in our dorm the past two nights whom I would have liked to have throttled. He seemed very pleasant at first, but he had the bad habit of chattering constantly. When there was no one to talk to, he chattered away to himself. The first night he came into the room chattering and thereby waking me from a sound sleep. When I mentioned that I was trying to sleep, it seemed to have no effect on him. Finally I said that if he didn't shut up I eas going to wake hom at 3 am and make sure he didn't go back to sleep. That shut him up. 

I have to go catch a train.

2 comments:

Inge Quinn said...

Ha! I always enjoy your descriptions and comments about the different annoying characters you encounter during your travels.

I seem to recall that a person stole some of your belongings while you were asleep the last time you were in Europe. Are you doing anything differently this time around to protect your things from thieves?

Jack Quinn said...

Yes, I am being more careful this time. I left my valuables in the safe at the front desk last night. However, in the simple refuges where I'll be staying from now on, there is really no place to lock up your valuables while you sleep.