Wednesday, July 02, 2014

July 2, 2014 – Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France



I took a train this morning from Biarritaz  to Bayonne and then thought I was going to take a train from Bayonne to Saint-Jean, as I did on my last trip years ago.  However the French Railways has discontinued the train and now runs a bus instead. Our driver was a young lady half the size of a sumo wrestler and apparently just as strong. The road to here is narrow and very curvy, but she woman-handled that big bus through the mountain roads as if she were driving a sports car. At some points the road was so narrow that if a car had been coming from the opposite direction, one of the vehicles would have had to back up and find a place to pull off to let the other one pass, and the curves were so sharp that it looked impossible to get that bus around them, but she did.

By the time we arrived, a number of us on the bus were friends, because we were all here to do the Camino. First we registered at the Pilgrim’s Office and got our pilgrims pass, 2 euros. The pass is what allows us to stay at the refuges for a very cheap price. Here’s a picture of the front door of the Pilgrim’s Office.  


 One of the guys who came on the bus is Italian, and Italian is the only language he speaks. He’s been paling around all day with a Japanese guy who only speaks Japanese and English. I have no idea how they communicate.

(I am sitting in the refuge’s kitchen writing this, and from the dorm where I am going to sleep, I can hear very loud snoring, and it’s only 4:30 in the afternoon. This is not going to be a pleasant night. Here is a picture of our dorm.)


I also picked up a clamshell at the Pilgrim’s Office to attach to my backpack. Legend has it that Pilgrims used to continue to the ocean after they reached Santiago where they would pick up a clamshell to bring back and prove that they had been there. Now people carry a clamshell from the start. I’m not sure just what purpose the clamshell serves now, but it does make me feel superior to people who don’t have one.  Here’s what mine looks like.
  

Finally, here’s a picture of one of the gates in the old wall that still surrounds Saint Jean. I’ll leave the town through that gate when I head up the Pyrenees in the morning. Incidentally, it's been cold and rainy today, and the forecast fot the next two days is for storms, so it should be an interesting hike across the mountains.




No comments: