Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 15, 2014 -- Nájera, Spain


I’m writing this in the municipal hostel in Nájera, but I won’t be able to upload it until sometime later. This hostel operates on voluntary donations instead of charging a fee to stay here, but for some reason it charges an expensive fee by the minute for using WiFi.

After I wrote yesterday’s blog entry, we had a communal supper at the hostel. Here we are seared around the table enjoying some red wine after the meal. I am missing, because I took the picture.


I walked 17.4 kilometers or 10.8 miles. The sun is shining today, and I wanted to get here in time to wash some clothes and dry them in the sun. Along the way I met many of the people I have been seeing along the way, and most of them are staying here at the municipal hostel including Lydia, the young petite lady from Tucson, who is also staying at this hostel. I have to be careful what I write about my fellow pilgrims now, because some of the have started reading my blog.

I can’t stop without mentioning the sleeping arrangements here, which are the most intimate I have experienced. Not only do men and women sleep in the same dorm but the beds are jammed together two by two, so you are effectively sleeping in a double bed with a stranger, who may or may not be of your gender.

No comments: