Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 27, 2014 -- Sahagún, Spain

The first bit of news is that I'm abandoning the Camino, at least for now. Even a stubborn person like me eventually realizes when he is doing himself harm. My injured left leg is getting no better, and if I keep going, I may be limping on it for three more weeks before I give it a chance to start healing. I'm taking the early morning train to Madrid tomorrow, where I've booked a bed in a youth hostel for four nights. After that, I'll decide what to do next. If my leg gets back to normal in the next month, I can still come back and resume the Camino here. If not, there is a lot of Spain and Portugal that I would like to see.

Today's hike, 22.7 kilometers or 14 miles, was almost all through featureless farmland with little shade and little to see. There were only a handful of guys (no women) in the new hostel in Caldadilla de la Cueza last night. Two of the guys told me that they wanted to be on the trail at 2 am, and when I got up before 5 am, there were only two others still in the hostel. 

I hit the trail in starlight (there was no moonlight) well before six to get as much ground covered as I could before the sun started beating down, because I knew there would be no shade. I arrived here at the hostel just before 2 pm.

Many of the pilgrims' hostels are in former churches or in present monasteries. This one on the upper floor of a  church. Here's what it looks like from the outside.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jack, I'm glad you're listening to your body. I hope the knee rests and you're able to continue, but if not, you can always come back on the bike. ¡Buen Camino, big guy!

Jack Quinn said...

Thanks, Susan. I expect to be back on the trail soon on foot. The rest is doing my leg good. I'll miss you and the others I saw every day on the trail or in the hostel in the evening, however.