Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29, 2014 -- Madrid, Spain

Last night was the low point as far as my physical condition is concerned, but this afternoon things are looking up. Yesterday and this morning, my leg complained every time I walked on it, and during the night, my right big toe started throbbing. An examination by daylight revealed that the toe had turned an ugly shade of purple (when your toe turns purple, there is no pretty shade) and half of it was covered by the mother of all blisters. I have no idea where that came from, but I popped the blister, and now, several hours later, the toe has stopped hurting and seems to be returning to its normal color. My left leg is also starting to feel better, and I can see myself back on the Camino in a few days.

In the meantime, I can't force myself to sit around 24 hours a fay to rest my leg. This morning I visited the Prado museum, and that involved a lot of walking. Like the Louvre in Paris, the Prado museum of art is too immense to take in in one day.

There was a special exhibit of paintings by el Greco and his contemporaries, which took up a few hours of my time. After that, I headed over to the Goya section before taking a bus and the Metro back to the youth hostel.

Traveling on the Metro or subway in Madrid is a bit "intimate" to say the least. Here's a pictire that I snapped on my way back from the Prado.


No comments: