Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 11, 2014 -- Villamayor de Monjardin, Spain


Today I only walked 13.7 kilometers (8.5 miles). I'm not making as much time as I might like, but I have all of the time in the world to finish this Camino. Today I marched through the town of Estella, and just leaving that town I found this Fuente de Vino or Wine Fountain where pilgrims are invited to refresh themselves for free. Needless to say I partook despite the early hour.


Sometimes the Camino is a narrow track through tall grass or bushes; occasionally it is a path alongside a paved road, but today it went through mostly open farm land and is well maintained, as you can see below. Note the clouds. As I have been complaining on this blog from time to time, the weather since I started has been cloudy, chilly, windy, and occasionally rainy with very few glimpses of the sun.  

The young woman who runs the hostel here is American, although she speaks excellent Spanish. She's a member of a religious order that helps along the Camino among other things.  The hostel itself is very basic, but it's situated on a hillside overlooking a quaint village. The view over the valley is spectacular. Here is a picture I took around subset when there was a rare break in the clouds.

No comments: