Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 17, 2014 -- Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Spain

I walked 13 miles or 21 kilometers to get here today, and I was pretty exhausted when I reached Santo Domingo.  This is one of the works of art that I saw along the way. Believe it or not, this is a community water fountain at which pilgrims can refill their water jugs.


Here in the province of La Rioja at almost every kilometer along the route there is one of these kilometer markers


I find these markers a bit annoying. I walk and walk and think that I've covered a lot of ground until I come upon another marker and find put that I've only walked a kilometer.

I am staying at a hostel that is part of a convent, and I am on a room with two other gentlemen, both of whom are friars. They are walking the Camino waring long, brown robes that almost touch the ground. They are hiking in sandals, and they both have full beards. 

By the way, knowing the propensity of people in mixed-gender dorms, I was afraid that I might be forced to sleep with a nun. I voiced my concern and was told to stop worrying. It would be OK for me to sleep with a nun as long as I didn't get into the habit.

No comments: