Monday, July 14, 2014

July 14, 2014 -- Navarette, Spain

388 miles left to walk. I had 490 miles to walk when I started in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, so I've walked just a bit more than 100 miles or 20 percent of the total distance.

After breakfast in the hostel in Viana, I was on the road by 6:30 this morning. My intention was to make a short day of it and stop in Logroño, but when I got there it was just before noon, and the city seemed too busy and too noisy, so I kept walking. The hike through the city was unpleasant due to the heavy traffic and the poorly marked Camino. However, once outside the main part of town, the path went through a long park with manicured lawns and finally turned into a wooded area.

In all I walked 22.4 kilometers or 14.1 miles, and I was dead tired when I arrived here early this afternoon. After two beers, a cup of coffee, and a short walk around the town, I felt somewhat better.

I met the young woman from Tucson on the path today. I'm wearing ,y Arizona T-shirt, and as I was out exploring the town, another passing pilgrim stopped me to say he was also from Tucson.

Since writing the previous sentence, I watched the final 40 kilometers of the Tour de France. Way to go, Nibili!

Here are two pictures that I took today. The first proves that I have finally left the region of Navarre behind and am now in the wine-producing area of La Rioja. Of course, I am of Irish descent, and it is well known that the Irish don't drink, so it won't do me much good.


If you click on the following picture to enlarge it, perhaps you can see the stork sitting on its nest at the top of the tower.


No comments: